Blacksmith’s Cottage, immediately opposite the cricket pitch, is probably the oldest house to be found in Downley today. A Grade II listed building; some accounts ascribe it to the 12th/ 13th century. Two ‘cruck’ trusses can be seen internally (a cruck or crook frame is a curved timber, one of a pair, which supports the roof of a building) and this type of construction is often found on larger houses built in the late mediaeval period (1272-1485). Thus a construction date of 13th/14th century may be more accurate. Moor Cottage, at the junction of Moor Lane and Plomer Green Lane, dates from the early 16th century.