Maps & Aerial Views

2017

The current boundaries of Downley Parish.

2003

The era of major growth of Downley, with the construction of Greys Lane/ Pheasant Drive -together with the associated housing developments either side of these roads- is over.  The closure of the Mines and West factory also released more land for housing.  Within the village centre only the Middle School grounds and an adjacent field remain as open space.

1961

A number of houses have been constructed along High Street, Commonside, Littleworth Road, Jubilee Drive. Towards the Oxford Road there are further developments on both sides of what is now called Plomer Hill (known locally as ‘The Pitch’) including Talbot Avenue and Lyndhurst Close.  Note that as recently as 1961 it was still annotated as Plomer’s Hill.

1946

Jubilee Drive has been extended and joined with what is now School Close.  Houses have been built in Southfield Road, White Close and at the upper end of Westover Road.

1934

The aerial photo of the central part of Downley shows new houses along Littleworth Road and the start of construction of Jubilee Drive.  What was to become Narrow Lane can be found on the far right of the image, and at its junction with Commonside is the Old Tin Church.

1927

The more detailed maps above highlight the ongoing development in the village as exemplified by the inclusion of Golf Links Villas and Cottages at the end of Plomer Green Lane.

1922

Showing the location of Lots 4 & 5 in the sale by Messrs Vernon & Son with the proposed location of the War Memorial (Village) Hall. Click here for greater detail.

1898

Note the orchards on the North of the Common adjacent to the Le De Spencer’s Arms

1896

More houses have been built in the three hamlets, and the tracks along what is now the High Street/ Commonside and Narrow Lane delineated more clearly. Although the location of St James Church is shown the absence of the Downley Village school would suggest that the map has been only partially updated.

1849

Downley, together with the other neighbouring hamlet of Plomer’s Green, was originally in the Parish of West Wycombe, although a number of dwellings in what is now Littleworth Road lay in the Parish of Hughenden.  The map above shows the field boundaries and tracks of the north-eastern part of West Wycombe Parish at that time. Click here to view this map in more detail.

The overlay illustrates how the field system has influenced the present-day footpaths and major roads.  The discrepancy associated with the position of Cookshall Lane probably arises a consequence of limitations of the surveying techniques at that time.