The Old Tin Church
The original district Church of St James, constructed from wood and corrugated iron (and hence known locally at the time as the ‘Tin Church’) was built in 1873 by Messrs Whitford and Co of the Regents Canal Docks London, on the corner between what is now Commonside and Narrow Lane. It was surmounted by a bell turret and accommodated approximately 100 persons. The interior fittings, lecturn, font, alter cloth and communion plate were manufactured by Messieurs Jones and Willis of Birmingham.
The churchwas enlarged in 1876 to accommodate an additional 100 persons, and a Sunday school was added. The decision was made to hold two sevices on a Sunday, one in the mornng and another in the afternoon.