1824 Wesleyan Chapel
The first religious building in Downley, the Wesleyan Chapel, was very unpretentious, being only 22 feet long by 17 feet wide, and considerably lower than at present. Mr John Wright, a local preacher of independent means, residing at Flackwell Heath, lent the money for its construction. Although small, however, it was equal to the need, as at this time Downley consisted of only thirty houses. It has been enlarged on a number of occasions and the photograph shows the structure as of 1861.