1893 Formation of Wycombe Ho Golf Club
Downley Common became the site of a nine-hole golf course, the home of the ‘Wycombe Ho Golf Club’ under the presidentship of Sir Edward Dashwood. The annual subscription for gentlemen and ladies was £1 and 10s respectively. The venture was not a commercial success and eventually the club moved to Flackwell Heath. However its memory lives on in the names Golf Links Villas, and Golf Links Cottages, which are to be be found at the far end of Plomer Green Lane. There was also a ‘Golf Links’ public house in the High Street, the site of which eventually became the present ‘Bricklayers Arms’.