Known to many Downley people previously by the local name ‘Bugs Alley’
The first Post Office in Downley with a plaque ‘Diamond Cottage 1853’ set in a diamond-shaped feature. Above the doorway is a sign ‘Thos Martin, Grocer, Dealer in Tobacco’, and another ‘Downley Post Office’. The older couple standing in the doorway are Thomas Martin and his wife Emma, who delivered the post. The younger woman is probably their daughter Gladys, who was a teacher at Downley school. Thomas Martin was also a chairmaker at the Piddington factory of Benjamin North, and a Governor of Downley school.
The rear of Moor Lane Cottage can be seen on the left. In 1939 Moor Lane Cottage was the home of Mr Michael and Mrs Jessie Milone who ran it as a guest house.
During the morning service at Downley Methodist Church on Sunday, November 1st a fire broke out in a storage corridor adjacent to the schoolroom. It spread rapidly into the roof space and carried into the church roof, causing extensive damage